Our next Monday Writers group is cancelled
so mark your calendar for March 23, 2015
5:30 to 6:30 pm
at Flying Star, downtown, 723 Silver (8th and Silver) in downtown Albuquerque. Ideally we are upstairs by the elevator on the sofas, realistically we are upstairs with a few tables pushed together. Come at least 20 minutes early to get a beverage or snack– this Flying Star is ridiculously slow!
BRING your pen/pencil/crayon/magic marker, paper, and five dollars ($5).
What you’ll get: writing prompts designed to get your pen moving, camaraderie, and the starts to some great poetry or prose! BONUS: you’ll get camaraderie, community, and appreciation for your words
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
REMINDER: RULES FOR WRITING:
1) Change pronouns of the prompt to fit a character you’re working on
2) Change point of view of the prompt to fit your story
3) Take one word from the prompt and run with that
4) Ignore the prompt all together! JUST WRITE
5) It’s okay to write CRAP! write messy sentences lush with grammar errors and spelling mistakes, rich with bad metaphors, and incomplete thoughts!
SAMPLE PROMPT: (a two part writing exercise) 1. Make a list of Big Important Events in your life (or the life of your character) 2. Pick one and write about your experience of that event (or your character’s experience)
Sample events from my life:
- Elvis’ death
- The day Reagan was shot
- The day the Pope was shot
- John Lennon’s death
- Mt. St. Helen’s eruption
- Largest shopping mall in America opens (on 78 acres in Minnesota)
This exercise is from Judith Barrington’s book, Writing the Memoir: From Truth to Art .