Whether you’re just starting out, or you’re stuck, or you want to have fun with words, join me on Mondays. We have a small core group of regulars, some folks who come on occasion, and new folks are always welcome.
Depending on how many people show up we write to 3 or 4 writing prompts. Writing prompts are supposed to be fun. Prompts are designed to get your pen moving, and sometimes to get your brain out of your way. A timer puts an added element to the exercise, a part of tricking your brain, letting the critic in you worry about the clock, so you can WRITE!
I set the timer for approximately 7 minutes. There is something poetic about the number 7, the way it tilts, points up to the right….
RULES FOR WRITING PROMPTS:
1) Change pronouns to fit a character you’re working on
2) Change point of view to fit your story
3) Take one word from the prompt and run with that
4) Ignore the prompt all together! JUST WRITE
5) It’s okay to write CRAP! write messy sentences lush with grammar errors and spelling mistakes
The point is to get the pen moving, get the mind working, and get the creative juices flowing!!
6) There really are no rules– just WRITE
We meet EVERY Monday, unless I run off on vacation somewhere, at my home near the University of New Mexico.